We love our outdoor spaces — until they are visited by mosquitos, insects and other bugs. Wondering how to keep bugs away from a patio? There are lots of options, including the following:
- Bug-Repellant Plants: Looking for a natural bug repellent for your patio? Plant bug-repellant herbs and flowers to keep those pesky insects away. For example, rosemary and garlic are both known to repel insects, and you can also establish a small garden with lemongrass and chive to prevent insects from invading your space. As an added bonus, you can use things that you plant — like rosemary and garlic — in any recipes that call for them. This is one of the best and most natural ways to deter insects and other bugs from spending time in your outdoor spaces.
- Essential Oils: You can find many different essential oil concoctions to help prevent insects from coming into your outdoor spaces. For example, eucalyptus, lavender, citronella and hazel are all known to help prevent bug infestations. Find an essential oil blend that works for you and your home, and take advantage of it on those spring and summer days and nights when you can’t get away from pests.
- Hydrogen Peroxide: Put a little bit of hydrogen peroxide into a spray bottle, and spread it liberally over your home’s patio and other surfaces. Make sure to spray the perimeter of your outdoor living space, as well — that will prevent bugs from getting close to you and anyone else. Hydrogen peroxide is relatively inexpensive and easy to apply — just make sure to spray away from food and drink.
- Mouthwash: Mouthwash can be used in a similar fashion as hydrogen peroxide, and it also provides a clean and fresh scent. Fill a spray bottle and use it to apply mouthwash to outdoor furniture and the surfaces around your outdoor living spaces.
- Dryer Sheets: If you have dryer sheets in your laundry room, grab a handful and take them outside. Rubbing dryer sheets on outdoor furniture and surfaces can help prevent some bug species from invading your space, and you can even rub dryer sheets on your own arms and legs to keep insects away.
- Citronella: Citronella torches and candles are a more traditional approach to keeping insects away from your outdoor spaces. They remain a cost-effective and efficient way to keep bugs away from your patio.
- Lighting: Replace traditional light bulbs with sodium vapor lighting or yellow light bulbs. This simple shift can greatly decrease the number of insects that want to spend time in your outdoor space.
- Cleanliness: Wondering how to keep bugs away from your porch? Start by keeping things clean. The dirtier and messier your porch, patio or similar outdoor space, the more likely it is that mosquitos and other insects will spend time there.
Need an effective way to keep mosquitoes away from your patio? Consider adding a sunroom to your home so you get the patio experience in a closed-off space — free from insects. This is also a good solution if you’re wondering how to keep bugs out of a screened in porch. At Garrety Glass, we’re always glad to talk about your sunroom options. Contact us today and learn more about transforming your outdoor spaces.